While the anticipation of a new home is exciting, moving everything to a new place is often a daunting experience. Below are several tips for moving to help you streamline your move and take the pain out of the moving process.
Tips for making moving a breeze
1. Start early: As soon as you know that you’ll be moving, start sorting through your belongings and get rid of the stuff that won’t make the move with you. Sort your items into three piles; keep, donate, toss. Then box up the items that you’re keeping, but won’t use until after you move.
2. Create a system: A little organization, in the beginning, will save you from spending months searching for your favorite things later. Devise a system that helps you keep track of your stuff, and ensure that they make it to the correct room of the house. Some ideas include: Tips for moving
- Color-code your boxes by room. Red for the kitchen, yellow for master, etc.
- Number the boxes, and create a list with the number of each box and it contents
- Write the destination on all surfaces of the boxes in large, clear letters
- Take a photo of the box number and its contents.
3. Pack a suitcase with the clothes and the toiletries you’ll need for the first night at your new home. That way, you don’t have to rush to unpack everything right away.
4. Set out two empty boxes to place items you want to donate or throw away after the move. Even if you sorted your items before you moved, it’s inevitable that you’ll find a few items that you don’t want anymore. Instead of letting them clutter in your new space, donate or toss them after you’ve finished unpacking.
5. Remember to reward yourself. Packing and unpacking is hard work! Take a break after you unpack a few boxes, and enjoy a snack or drink.